Thursday, April 1, 2010

I fooled them

So I told Jameson he could have doughnuts for breakfast. He ran up the stairs to find this... He wasn't disappointed but he also was not all that impressed either. I think my kids are still a little to young for April Fools jokes . Ashton didn't mind them since he likes cheerios and has no real interest in real doughnuts so he happily ate them all. Like most of my jokes on April fools it just didn't go over like I had planned.

I remember the joke I played on my parents when I was younger and living in Taiwan. Like most Chinese jokes it was lost in translation. I thought telling them I had broken both my legs after being hit by a car while riding my bike would be a dead give away...wouldn't you it was April Fools after all. I probably should have not gone into so much detail like how dirty the ambulance was, how roughly they picked me up and took me to some "hospital", and how I didn't think the bones were set properly, and that I was in to much pain to write any more and that I would have to write latter. Well to make a long story short by the time I called to say April Fools the joke had gone to far. Dad was to angry to talk to me and Mom just broke down crying. They already had started a fast with ward members, co-workers, and neighbors. They had my name in almost every temple in the valley and mom was looking at flight plan options. The joke eventually blew over but for months after returning home I had to take the comments and explain that I hadn't actually broken my legs and that it was a JOKE. I should have just told them that they were going to have a grandchild that was MADE IN TAIWAN it probably would have been funnier.




HAPPY APRIL FOOLS DAY!

5 comments:

  1. Cute! I like this trick a lot better than saran wrap over the toilet bowl. Isn't it interesting how what is considered "funny" tends to change the more you realize how much clean up it will require and the fact that you will be the one doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the broken leg incident. You always did have a warped sense of humor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the donuts. And I very vividly remember the broken legs. You're crazy. Love ya, but you're crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't even realize the picture was zoomed in. I thought they looked like real donuts! You are crazy and funny Liz! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in bed checking my email, reading your comment on my blog, finding out who you and trying not to laugh as my husband is still asleep. I, too, didn't realize the donuts were cheerios at first. They are cute, though and I think I may do that next year. The story that has me busting up is the broken legs. I can see me pulling out something like that and not having it go very far...but your story got so much mileage. Ha ha ha. Your name was on prayer rolls to keep your family/friends from afflicting you instead of for healing.

    Thank you for your kind words. I'm happy that you can find some sort of inspiration in my journey. It often feels like I'm too busy yelling at my kids or cleaning up messes to really be making a difference in anyone's life...mine, theirs or any readers. I appreciate you taking the opportunity to comment. I'd love to read more about your jokes gone bad...maybe just a few posts a year?

    ReplyDelete